Mizzou – 10 South Carolina – 31
Mizzou was demolished throughout 4 quarters of play by #7 South Carolina on Saturday night. Which brings them to (2-2) on the season (0-2 in the SEC conference). This moves South Carolina ahead to (4-0). Undefeated in the conference.
Two plays really set the tone for Mizzou’s epic failure in tonight’s game in the first half.
- The Tigers were on their own 3. I believe it was about 3rd and 8. James Franklin missed a wide freaking open T.J. Moe for the first down which they ended up having to punt giving South Carolina great field position that ultimately ended in a touchdown.
- On this play the Tigers had the ball at the goal-line when T.J. Moe was matched up 1 on 1 with South Carolinas backup cornerback (in-place of suspended CB Swearinger) and he was open. Would have been an easy six but Franklin completely looks the other way and stares down Lucas then throws it into double-coverage in the end-zone and he can’t haul it in. Equally terrible plays. I don’t know if these mishaps are something Mizzou can fix as more as if it’s just a talent issue. Corby 2013.
They were spanked in every phase of the game tonight. The offense was dreadful and the defense was worse after the first quarter of play. They out-scored the Tigers in the second quarter 21-3. Both of RB Lattimore’s two touchdowns came in the second quarter.
By the time the third quarter had ended the score was 28-3. South Carolina’s QB Connor Shaw was on fire completing 20 in a row. He ended the game going 20/21 249 yards, and two touchdowns. He ran 12 times for 41 yards. Shaw was all we could have imagined and more coming off an injury that he suffered during their season opener against Vanderbilt.
Also, RB Marcus Lattimore had a good game. Rushing on the ground 21 times for 85 yards and 2 scores. To go along with that he hauled in 7 passes for 60 yards as-well. Their offense was impenetrable.
James Franklin was non-effective in this one folks. He completed 11/18 passes for 92 yards and ran the ball 15 times for 6 yards, yes 6 yards! In the beginning of the fourth quarter the game was out of hand so he was replaced by QB Corbin Berkstresser. I am officially a Corbin fan. I know this came in garbage time but you can’t debate the Arizona State game. Corby was 7/8 for 54 yards and a touchdown in the fourth. He was money.
Lawrence had 11 rushes for 67 yards, while Lucas had 9 grabs for 78 yards and a touchdown that came in garbage time. Those were your Missouri Tigers top performers. #7 South Carolina was too much for Missouri to handle. Their defense was stiff and wouldn’t budge. We have UCF next week boys and girls so get ready! It’s a long season!
Other Game Notes:
* Dorial Green-Beckham did not have a reception in tonight’s game.
* Missouri was 2-12 on third downs tonight.
* There was 80,000 in attendance at tonight’s game in South Carolina.
I’m sure this not the way things were expected to play out for the Tigers but that’s what happens when you become part of the SEC. Should we say so long to our winning ways here in CoMo? Is the SEC actually too much to handle? Hardly. We have played 2 top ten teams in the nation and they were both SEC. Franklin needs to get increasingly more mentally prepared to be in this conference. Tonight’s performance was miserable, I think we can all agree on that.
Mizzou just flat out didn’t come to play tonight, they did not put themselves offensively or defensively in the right position. They didn’t even give themselves a chance.
What do you think Zou fans? What rating would you give our overall effort in tonight’s game? (1-10, and reason?)
What are you waiting for? Time To Type Tigers!